Monday, August 24, 2009

Monday Legs & Arch work

Had to call a halt to the squats today as my knee was making noises. No pain though, but this is never good as it obviously means something is grinding out/on something else. My guess is that with some tissue quality work I can fix it. Foam rolling, stretching and mobility work, maybe some massage too. I think its a rec fem issue (tightness)

Changed to wide grip deadlifts for 8 timed sets of 35 seconds.
60x10
60x13
80x13
80x13
100x10
120x8
140x3 - my grip f**ked out here
140x3 - stopped to take it easy on my back

I decided to use today to get a gauge on how my back/hip problem was coming along. I dont believe in avoiding exercise on a trouble area so I found that working up light and stopping once it started to tighten up let me get a handle on it. Hopefully back to the squats next week and I'll do some deadlifts afterwards, next time with a sumo stance. I'll do that for a few weeks. Still keeping leg work minimal while I'm aimed at the nat bench

Arch work.
Juat some stretches followed by some aggressive upper back work on the bench with the thick PVC pipe. This isn't comfortable but it helps to teach the brain and nervous system to lock into a good position. I arch over a thick pvc pipe, then take a unloaded or light bar and do very short, rapid, partials. This produces a few funny looks but I find that it helps me a lot. I never need to do these for very long (2-3 sessions) before it the positioning (tightness and what I think of as my scapular tilt) becomes natural again. Going to work on a systematic approach to stretching and warming up specifically to arch. When I was arching well, I sometimes took 40 minutes just to warm up.

No comments:

Post a Comment